The earliest portion of the house
dates from about 1820 when Rebecca Ballard purchased the lot from the town commissioners.
Two years later she sold it at many times its purchase price. Thomas Bibb
held the property from 1823 until 1830 when he deeded it to his son-in-law, James
In 1842 a deed to the Bibb heirs recites that Joseph C. Bradley, brother of
James, resided there. But it was not until 1850 that he took title to the
property. In an interesting legal transaction Mr. Bradley deeded the property
to his wife, Isabella, in 1866 and again in 1867, to compensate her for loss of
dower rights in other preperty. In 1893 her heirs transferred the preperty
to George Scruggs by a deed that states that it had been Isabella Bradley's residence.
Today Bradley family decendants in Huntsville include the Van Valkenburghs.
Parts of the house have been removed and parts have been added through the
years. The entrance is probably not the original one. The lot stretched
from Williams Street to Gates Street in 1861. It is now reduced to sixty-three
feet on Franklin Street. Although the structure has seen many changes through
the years, the Bradley family homestead now has a bright future as well as a proud